A Tournai Plate From The Bettignies Factory

PDFPrintEmail
img_8156
img_8889
img_8890
img_8892
img_8893
img_8896
img_8901
img_8902
img_8903
img_8904
img_8907
img_8908
img_8907-(1)
img_8909
img_8898
img_8899

Price: £1,250.00

Description

 

A Tournai plate probably from the Bettignies factory at Saint- Armand Les-Eau Belgium

Decorated using a lovely diaper or blue Gingham ground, similar to the ones found with the Prince de Conde hunting services at Chantilly, the central panel depicts a boat with three figures onboard pulling in to moor at a fishing town, a crenellated tower, buildings and other sailing masts in the rear, the panel surrounded by six vignettes of hovering birds, all holding sprigs or grasses

Circa 1780-1800

Effaced Tournai mark to the rear

Tournai soft porcelin was established in 1750 by Peterinck. In 1752 one hundred workmen were employed, which in 1762 increased to as many as two hundred. For some time previous to 1815 the works were carried on by M. Maximilian de Bettignies, who, in conequence of the annexation of Tornai to Belgium, ceded it in that year to his brother Henri and established another at St. Amand-les-Eaux. Soft paste which had been discontinued many years in every other fabrique in France, was still made at both places, and they consequently produced the closest imitations of old Sevres pate tendres.

 

You are here: Online Shop All categories Continental Pottery & Porcelain A Tournai Plate From The Bettignies Factory

Get in touch

Give us a call at
07581 204336

Email us at
mark@arbatelantiques.com

Social Media

Secure Payment